How long do you have to go to school to be a nurse?

I was thinking about becoming a nurse and wanted to know how long you would go to school for and also how much money you would be paying for school without a full scholarship.

Question Topics

flag this question for review

Asked Jan 06 '12 at 14:55
My avatar image

KaylaCodman2 .

212

2

Two answers:

My avatar image

Jen Page
Last updated Apr 14 at 08:34

It all depends what kind of nurse you want to be. Deciding what kind of nurse you want to be depends on how long you want to be in school - and how many years you can afford to be in school for - and also, what kind of future salary you're hoping to make. Here's a chart to help you out.

• Certified nurse assistant (CNA): 2 years at a community college + certification exam; salary range is $25,000-30,000/year
  • Registered nurse (RN): 4 years in an undergraduate bachelor's program + licensing exam; salary range is $65,000-75,000/year
  • Nurse practitioner (NP): 4 years in an undergraduate bachelor's program and 2 additional years in a master's program; can do more things that doctors can do; salary range is $65,000-75,000/year

In terms of how much you'd be paying for a school out of pocket, it depends on whether you go to a state/community school or a private university. Private universities can cost $60,000/year in tuition alone - this doesn't even take into account books, room and board, etc. A more cost effective route is to check out state schools within the state where you live - most places have an in-state tuition discount for residents. If you do your homework, you can probably find a place that'll charge $5,000-10,000 per year. Also, lots of people take out loans to pay for nursing school, which they pay back in their first few years of nursing. Since RNs usually don't have a problem finding jobs, this is a fairly safe (and common) route to go.

Six comments

randomgirl3000 L.
Jan 28 at 16:06

thank you it helps me for a school project. this is what i would like to be when im oldeer

My avatar image
Michele McCormick FASE RDCS RVT
Feb 07 at 16:53

There are also two year RN programs but it is more difficult to find work if you do not have the 4 year degree to go with your RN

Stephani Manning
Apr 04 at 18:30

I did mine in 5 years because I chose a university that required co-op opportunity (3, 6 month internships) that allowed me to work in 3 very different hospitals. I was much more prepared going to the real job after those! She is right though, I got some academic scholarships, but I am still paying $600 a month until 2024. I am currently attending a state school for my graduate degree, and theirs is only $2,500 a semester (plus books, supplies which are far fewer than undergrad).

MiKayla C.
Apr 08 at 08:47

When you worked at the hospitals did you get to stay and work there once you finished you internships?

Stephani Manning
Apr 09 at 23:06

I actually have my nursing job right now because of an internship I did in my senior year of nursing. Many facilities like to hire people that either work for them during school or have done internships for them because they already know you and how you work, and know that you will be a good fit for the unit or area already. My first nursing assistant job started as an internship during school and ended up lasting 3 years! It is actually the ideal way to do it, becaause you gain experience and become comfortable along the way!

MiKayla C.
Apr 14 at 08:34

Thank you. Do you think when you are looking for an internship at a hospital you should go to a hospital that you would like to work at once the internship is over?

My avatar image

Suzanne Lappas
Last updated Apr 14 at 08:37

To tag along to the above answer, for financial reasons sometimes people get a more basic nursing accreditation first (which takes less time and costs less), and then once they are working and making money, they enroll in programs to get more advanced nursing degrees. There are many transitional educational programs that help people with one type of nursing degree further their education while still working. For example, there are many programs for licensed practical nurses (LPNs) to become registered nurses (RNs). They can do this while they are still working, so this is a much more economical option for some people. Similarly, RNs who do not have a bachelors of science in nursing (BSN) can work while they go to school to get their BSN. Many hospitals are interested in hiring RNs with their BSN because they have more knowledge to apply when they are working. There are also BSN to MSN (masters of science in nursing) programs that a person can also do while they are working. It means a busy schedule, but again, can help you pay for school because you are earning money. Sometimes, you can even get your employer to help pay for the transition program because they want their nurses to have as much education as possible!

Two comments

Stephani Manning
Apr 04 at 18:37

This is great info. I am currently working full time, attending grad school, doing additional research for my job, and doing my clinical time for nursing education. The workload is heavy, but if you are going back for a second degree (ADN to BSN for instance) many of the people who would be in teh class with you are older, have families, and work full time. These programs are usually specifically tailored for working people. It's tough, but very doable. I attend a hybrid class system. I go in every Tuesday, and since I am taking 2 classes, the rortate every week which i s face to face and which is online (which does not mean less work). I like this system because I have become friends with many of the people in my class, and we have the support of each other as well as the professors.

MiKayla C.
Apr 14 at 08:37

Do you think it is better to go for your BSN and MSN rather than just becoming an RN?

This is where you come in. If you're a student, you can start asking career questions that will help you prepare for your future. If you're a professional, you can start giving career advice to students who deeply need your advice.

Log in now to comment on or answer this question!